Most of our web hosting packages allow you to have multiple domain names. The additional domains can point to the SAME web site, or they can be completely SEPARATE web sites.
There are TWO REQUIRED STEPS that need to be performed, in order to host the additional domain within your existing web hosting package.
WARNING!! Please do not attempt to visit the new add-on domain in your browser until AFTER you have done BOTH of the steps below. This will "poison" your DNS cache and require you to wait at least an hour for the DNS change (in step 1, below) to propagate. A sign that you have poisoned your DNS will be if you get this error when viewing your add-on domain:
"We're sorry, but we were unable to process the redirection request for the site you are attempting to access. If you feel that you are receiving this message in error, please check the URL and try your request again."
STEP 1 - Change the Nameservers to point to our service:
- Make sure that the new domain name is pointing to the correct QTH.com DNS servers. You MUST configure your domain to point to the QTH.com DNS servers (this is not done by default). Depending on which web server you are on, those DNS servers will be some combination of NS10.QTH.COM, NS11.QTH.COM, NS12.QTH.COM, NS14.QTH.COM, NS15.QTH.COM, NS16.QTH.COM and/or NS18.QTH.COM. See your web hosting instructions that you received via email when you first signed up for the correct DNS servers to use. Alternatively, you could do a WHOIS Lookup on your primary domain name, and use the same DNS servers as your primary domain name.
- If you registered your domain name at QTH.com, you can easily verify the current DNS servers, and change them if necessary, via our Billing site. See this KB article for instructions on managing DNS servers for your domain.
- Of course, you must first own the domain in question. So, if you don't already own the new domain name, you will have to come to http://domains.qth.com and register it first. Once registered, set the domain name servers to the QTH.com DNS servers (see above).
- To point an additional domain to the same web site as your primary domain name, go to your cPanel control panel and click on Parked Domains or Aliases and add your new domain there. Depending on the version of your cPanel, you will see either Parked Domains or Aliases -- it is the same feature, but it has been renamed in newer versions of cPanel.
- To have a completely separate web site, go to your cPanel control panel and click on Addon Domains and add it there. The directory (folder) you choose in this step will be the "home directory" for your new site. If the directory doesn't exist, it will be created during this step. The directory must be a sub-directory of your public_html folder.
Additional documentation from cPanel on Addon Domains and Parked/Alias Domains: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/72Docs/Addon+Domains
- Video Tutorials